Marie Stopes International Organisation Nigeria (MSION) is a result-oriented Social Business, which uses modern management and marketing techniques to provide reproductive health care and allied services. MSION’s goal is to meet the needs of underserved Nigerians by improving access and use of a range of reproductive health services.
MSION is part of Marie Stopes International’s Global Partnership which is in over 37 countries worldwide.
The core responsibility of this post is to use your:
￭ initiative ￭ energy ￭ persistence ￭ results orientation
￭ drive ￭ integrity ￭ enthusiasm ￭ commitment to personal development
To further MSI’s partnership mission: enabling individuals to have children by choice, not chance.
The Director of Commercial Operations (DCO) will be in charge of leading the commercial operations of MSION (clinic network and social marketing of products) to a sustainable financial position, as well as overseeing the marketing activities across all the service delivery channels of MSION. This role will be pivotal to achieving a sustainable future of MSION, enabling it to continue its mandate of delivering services for the social benefit of the population and particular the women of Nigeria. S/He will be responsible for agreeing a commercial strategy with the Country Director and Commercial Board and executing delivery of the plan by 2020.
The DCO will be required to ensure that the network of MSION clinics (“centres”) and the socially marketed product sales channels develop into thriving businesses, providing exceptional quality and value for their customers and generating enough revenue to cover their costs and make a positive contribution to the overall financial health of MSION. The DCO will also add value to MSION growth activities by identifying new commercial opportunities and coordinating and managing all marketing efforts; keeping abreast of trends and market conditions to provide strategic advice to Management and the Board.
The role holder is expected to have an entrepreneurial mindset, private sector sales or health management experience and great leadership skills. The ideal candidate will also be a creative strategist with excellent organisational abilities.
The primary goal of the role holder is to promote and expand the company’s commercial activity and in turn generate surplus, towards leading to sustainable growth.
The DCO shall have the primary responsibility of leading the day to day operations of the business of the Commercial department in accordance with the strategic plan and operating and capital budgets.
Generally, the primary responsibilities of the DCO are to:
- Develop the three existing clinics/centres into financially viable enterprises that deliver quality reproductive health and primary health care services for MSION’s clients, in line with MSI global policies and best practices and make a contribution to support office costs.
- Demonstrate a successful clinic model which can form the base for expansion, drawing on the experience and recommendations in MSI’s frameworks.
- Agree a commercial and financial strategy with the Country Director and the London Support Office to grow the clinic network into a viable network of sustainable reproductive health care clinics across Nigeria which can continue to deliver services without continued support from international donors or being a financial drain on MSION’s enterprise.
- Develop and grow the existing health product social marketing business into a viable sales channel that increases access for its customers to quality reproductive health care products, generates needed cashflow and makes a positive contribution to the social business of MSION
- To agree a commercial strategy and vision for MSION that complements the social aspects of its service delivery arm, which will continue to be dependent on donor support
- Oversee the external marketing communications of MSION, ensuring a common marketing strategy and consistent messaging and brand for clients interacting with MSION across the different service delivery and sales channels
- Develop the call centre to support the needs of clients accessing MSION services and information.
- oversee the day to day operations of the business; Build the right leadership team that will grow the business, strengthen and ensure its sustainability
- develop, in collaboration with the CD and the Financial Director, an annual operating plan that supports the Company’s long term commercial strategy;
- Develop and oversee the long term business strategies and overseeing the achievement and maintenance of a satisfactory competitive position within its industry.
- Ensure proper and effective business system alignment with the department strategic focus with the right leadership competence.
- Foster a corporate culture that is commercially focused and promotes ethical practices, customer focus and service and encourages individual integrity; maintain a positive and ethical work climate that is conducive to attracting, retaining and motivating a diverse group of top quality employees at all levels.
- keep the CD fully informed in a timely and candid manner of the conduct of the day to day operations of the business towards the achievement of its established goals and of all material deviations from the goals or objectives and policies established by MSION.
- With respect to commercial operational matters, ensure communications, resolution of issues and project development.
- Brief the board quarterly or as requested by the Board, attend meetings of the Board and its Committees and present the information necessary or relevant to the Board or such Committee for discharging its duties.
- Assess and manage the principal risks of the Corporation's business within operations (proposals, projects and staffing);
- Work closely with the HR department to establish an appropriate organizational structure; develop a the right hiring practices, payroll, benefit and incentives system provides the right motivation and drive productivity.
Lead all Commercial activities
Developing and implementing commercial strategies according to MSION goals and objectives with the aim to accelerate growth
- Conducting market research and analysis to create detailed business plans on commercial opportunities (expansion, business development, etc.)
- Understand the requirements of existing customers to ensure that their needs are being met and creatively manage their expectations to surpass set records
- Act to acquire new customers and manage client relationships profitably
- Collaborate with and coordinate diverse teams (marketing, sales, customer service etc.)
- Build and maintain profitable partnerships with key stakeholders
- Monitor performance of commercial activities using key metrics and prepare reports for the senior management team and the board
- Assist in setting financial targets and budget development as well as monitoring of productivity and achievement of set targets
Sales and Marketing of Pharmaceutical/FP/SRH products and Clinical Services
- Develop a clear and effective sales and marketing strategy for all commercial channels.
- Re-evaluate the current social marketing bouquet of products, services at the centres and the distribution channels so as to decide on range of SRHR products that will generate surplus and other desired strategic business goals, through an effective market research and in-line with the core value of MSION and its strategic direction
- Work with relevant stakeholders to design and build the required teams for all channels under the commercial operations unit of MSION
- Oversee the affairs of all Centres/Clinics by working closely with the Business Lead for Centres
Development of an Integrated Marketing Strategy/Plan and Manage its implementation
- Develop and Implement an annual marketing plan in consultation with MSION Commercial board
- Ensure the effective delivery of each marketing plan for all MSION service delivery channels especially the commercial channels with clear activities/action plan for each channel.
- Where applicable, coordinate with the Programmes, Operations and RME departments to ensure that activities are in line with funders’ expectation, informed by evidence and field-based promotions are planned to support product/marketing plans
- Assess and identify the needs in the areas of information, education and communication within the framework of National IEC strategy and arrange advertising and promotion tasks through media or other appropriate means, with due collaboration with all relevant units
- Lead all sales and related business partnerships with partners, corporate establishment and institutional clients
- Work with the different regulatory agencies to approve new centers and products growth.
Lead impact assessment of target marketing promotion, campaign and advertising
- Lead impact assessment on all target marketing promotion campaigns (including the planning of advertising, media, population segment and clinic-based promotions) impact assessment, competitive analysis, consumer behaviour analysis and new product development.
- Promote and engage private and public insurance agencies as well as corporate clients for the center business.
- Work with advertising firms, professional groups and stakeholders and vendors to develop and finalize all advertising and communication campaigns and materials.
- Lead the sales and distribution team to surplus generating entity with expanded assess nationwide.
- Manage a chain of Clinics to sustainability
- Recruit, lead and inspire the team (direct and indirect reports) to deliver excellent Client centric service.